Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Comforter

You never can get used to the suddenness of death. I suppose if someone is old, or sick, you can kind of prepare for it, but when it happens, it's so final.
It's even more difficult when it is unexpected. I experienced this with my dad. It was so surreal. One second he was there, the next, he wasn't. Just gone. So strange to build up a lifetime of possessions and accomplishments, clothes, trinkets, a car, a cell phone, shoes, an office and a desk, and then, all at once, they are things without an owner. Left to collect dust because no one wants to dispose of them, yet they don't really serve a purpose anymore.
I found out today that my principal from Pueblo lost her husband last night to a sudden heart attack. She was at the band concert at school. She came home late to find him dead. He was in his 40's. My heart instantly broke for her. Having experienced a similar situation, I was instantly numb, and cursing myself for reading a text during class, because my brain shut down during a math lesson.
I felt pretty numb all day. And I felt guilty, this wasn't my tragedy. I had only met the man one time. Recently, at a Hanukkah party. He really seemed like a good guy. I think my saddness speaks more for how highly I think of Terri, and how much I know she loved her husband. I'm sad for the loss of the future they had planned.
I felt bad also, because I am pretty sure they didn't go to church or anything. My mom remarked how sad that was to not have a minister or pastor to help you through something like this.
I remember watching my dad's sister at his funeral sobbing and wailing for the loss of her brother. I remember the calm and peaceful feeling from the moment I began to realize what was happening was real, and that it was ok.
I an SO thankful for my faith, and my beliefs, and most especially for the Holy Spirit who envelops me in his arms in times of trial. I have been praying with fervor that the Spirit is able to envelop Terri too, and that she feels the love of her Heavenly Father, and that she will know, that everything will be ok.

2 comments:

  1. Terry was my counselour in high school. He was such a great man! I only met with him once or twice a year to go over my classes, but I am thankful for the chance to have known him, met with him, chatted with him. He will be missed. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate this blog post. The promise of the gospel with eternal families is so comforting!

    ReplyDelete